Click here for our most recent pastoral council minutes.
We, the pastor/pastoral administrator and members of St. John XXIII Parish, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, recognize that we are called to union with God not merely as individuals but as a holy community, the People of God. The Spirit has given a variety of ministries and gifts to this community, which enables all to work for the good of the whole. Formed by the Word of God, we recognize our unity of faith and love, and we accept our common responsibility for the mission of Christ. To proclaim our unity of mind and purpose and to more effectively perform our responsibilities to God and neighbor, we unite to form a parish pastoral council. We affirm and accept communion with the Archbishop of Dubuque and with our pastor/pastoral administrator. We declare ourselves willing to accept their authority and to share their pastoral concerns so that together we may carry out the saving mission of the Church.
Pastoral Council Purpose
The pastoral council offers counsel to and collaborates with the pastor/pastoral administrator to provide the long-range planning which will guide the parish toward its future. It’s purpose is:
1. To facilitate a process by which the mission of the parish is determined and to serve as stewards of that mission.
2. To implement the mission by engaging in pastoral planning, which includes assessing parish needs, identifying resources, determining priorities.
3. To collaborate with the finance council to maintain appropriate stewardship in implementing the mission of the parish.
The pastoral council carries out its purposes through three interdependent functions:
1. To listen to and represent the wisdom of parishioners and parish staff as part of the planning process.
2. To determine priorities and develop a plan for both implementing and evaluating them.
3. To develop goals and objectives which further the mission of the parish.
4. To evaluate regularly the goals and objectives of the council and of its subgroups.
5. To recommend policies which are supportive of the mission of the parish.
6. To call forth the gifts of individuals and groups/committees in the parish to carry out its mission.
7. To cooperate with neighboring parishes in regional planning for the future of the Church in the local area.
8. To collaborate with the stewardship committee to conduct a parish census periodically.
Membership consists of those who are ex officio and of registered parishioners who are elected or appointed as delineated in the bylaws.
E-Mail: jabua @aol.com